Only a few people think about their lungs when they are looking for ways they can enhance their overall health. A report published by a reputable institution showed that one of the main causes of the death recorded in 2010 was severe lower respiratory conditions. Two common infections in this category are asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). These diseases were responsible for 235,000 of the deaths recorded in 2010.
Another report published in 2016 showed that over 158,000 people were predicted to die that year as a result of lung cancer, making lung cancer the number one cause of cancer-related deaths.
Here are 5 tips that will help you keep whole and healthy lungs;
- AVOID SMOKING: Most people already know that smoking is one of the leading causes of lung cancer. However, there are other lung conditions that traditional tobacco smokers are at risk of. These conditions include asthma, Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), and COPD. Reports show that tobacco smokers are 12 times more likely to die as a result of COPD than people that do not smoke. This is the reason why many health experts believe that vapes and E-hookahs are less harmful to the lungs than tobacco smoking. While they all contain nicotine, there are no reports that show that nicotine itself is responsible for cancer. There are many online stores like ePuffer where you can buy authentic vape devices, e-liquids, and e-hookahs at affordable prices.
- ENGAGE IN WORKOUT ROUTINES THAT ENHANCE YOUR BREATHING: One of the things you can do to keep your lungs in good shape is exercising regularly. Regular exercise helps to keep your body and lungs healthy. The secret to working out for healthy lungs lies in increasing the workload of your lungs as a result of an increased heart rate. This means that your lungs have to work up to four times as hard to pump oxygen to your muscles during exercise.
- PROTECT YOURSELF FROM POLLUTANTS: Lung infections and premature aging can be caused by exposure to external pollutants. The lungs of young adults are often stronger at fighting toxins than older adults. Older adults are generally more vulnerable to lung infections as a result of exposure to pollutants. Some of this pollution includes exhaust fumes from traffic, secondhand smoke, and other airborne pollutants.
- TAKE LUNGS DISEASE PREVENTION MEASURES: The strength of your lungs decreases as you age; hence, older people are more exposed to lung infections than younger ones. People with a history of COPD also need to be extremely careful when it comes to protecting their lungs from infection. They need to take preventive measures such as always keeping their hands clean, drinking lots of water, and resisting the temptation to touch their faces.
- DO BREATHING EXERCISES: Most people tend to use only a tiny portion of their lungs when breathing as they typically take shallow breaths. One of the ways you can clear your lungs is by doing deep breathing exercises. Health experts advise that people do deep breathing exercises for at least 2 minutes every day.
Always keep in mind that your lungs require conscious effort from you to stay healthy.