After the remaining four years without any update, the iPod touch seemed a product forgotten by Apple. Two weeks ago and after sporadic rumors about its renewal, the company announced the iPod touch 2019. A device that has always been the cheapest way to enter Apple’s amusement park.
In recent days I have been testing this iPod touch, from which we saw whom it was addressed as a product and I already shared some first impressions. More than an analysis to use, here I gather the reflections that have arisen after using it. Consider it, therefore, a complement to these two articles.
- iPod touch 2019: technical specifications
- Product Type: multimedia device.
- Screen: 4-inch retina at 326ppp.
- Dimensions: 12.34 x 5.86 x 0.61 cm.
- Weight: 88 grams.
- Processor: A10 Fusion at 1.63GHz.
- RAM: 2GB
- Rear camera: 8 Mpx and ƒ / 2.4, with flash.
- Front camera: 1.2 Mpx and ƒ / 2.2.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11a / b / g / n / ac; Bluetooth 4.1.
- Sensors: lighting, accelerometer, and gyroscope.
- Connectors: audio jack, Lightning.
- Storage: 32GB, 128GB and 256GB.
- Colors: space gray, gold, silver, pink, blue and red.
- Price: from 239 euros, 32GB model.
- iPod touch in a sea of smartphones
The first iPod touch was released in September 2007, just a few months after the original iPhone launch. Steve Jobs disdained at that time fears that this device could shadow the iPhone with a single phrase:
Thinner and with Wi-Fi connection but without data, the iPod touch was a way to train an audience totally foreign to the smartphone of the future with a familiar and affordable device. The iPod had several years of success behind it. Offering now an iPod with a touch screen with which to play your music and access the internet became a more attractive proposal.
We advance time in twelve years and we face a totally different situation. The iPod touch in 2019 does not have to introduce anyone to the world of the modern smartphone that the iPhone entailed. Today, who wants to have a smartphone, has it with snapping their fingers before their operator.
In the end, what weighs most is that iPod touch is the most affordable way to enter Apple’s amusement park for a child who is not yet ready to have his iPhone. His parents make sure that they can limit him through the parental controls of iOS at the same time that he is in a familiar system and compatible with that of his parents.
With this in mind, the iPod touch is a fantastic device to be the one that accompanies the smallest of the house in those first steps through Apple’s amusement park.